Blog Action Day is an annual event held every October 15 that unites the world’s bloggers in posting about the same issue on the same day with the aim of sparking a global discussion and driving collective action. This year’s topic is Water.
Did you know that nearly a billion people in the world don’t have access to clean, safe drinking water? That’s one in eight of us who are subject to preventable disease and even death because of something that many of us take for granted.
Safe and clean drinking water and sanitation is a human right essential to the full enjoyment of life and all other human rights. ~United Nations General Assembly, July 28 2010
Access to clean water is not just a human rights issue. It’s an environmental issue. An animal welfare issue. A sustainability issue. Water is a global issue, and it affects all of us.
I learned a lot of grim statistic while researching water for this article. But there is some good news. There are some great organizations working on solutions and doing things now to address the water crisis.
What can you do to reduce your impact? For some ideas to get you started, visit Water Use It Wisely.com.
Now head over to the Blog Action Day site and take action!
More excellent reading about water:
- 8 Facts You Didn’t Know About Water at Treehugger.com
- Demand Clean Water to Live at Greenpeace.org
- Blog Action Day: Attention Desert Dwellers — Reduce Your Water Usage at 1800Recycling.com
- Blog Action Day: Water – Reduce, Reuse and Recycle at 1800Recycling.com
- How to Save The World’s Water in Your Garden at LovingNaturesGarden.com