by Wendy Gabriel
A few articles for Earth Day:
- Celebrate Earth Day with QVC – Or Not at TwilightEarth.com
- How will you celebrate Earth Day? at MyGreenSide.org
- Earth Week 2010 in Fargo Moorhead at Examiner.com
Some great links for Earth Day crafts and other ideas for children:
- Kaboose.com has a gallery of Recycled Crafts, directions for an Eggshell Planter, an Egg Carton Bug Mobile, a Tin Can Herb Garden and much more.
- For Earth Day, Babybee-the smallest member of the Little Humbugs is raising awareness for Our Pollinators. Download your own FREE Help Save Our Pollinators activity sheets from the Little Humbugs.
Events in the Fargo Moorhead Area:
- Red River Zoo’s “Party for the Planet”: Free admission to the Zoo, Saturday, April 24th from noon to 4:00 p.m. Family activities include, crafting bagel bird feeders, making a toad abode, recycled papermaking, supermarket sweep and animal observation skills.
- Get Your “Can” on the Bus: April 19-24 Get Your “Can” on the Bus Metro Area Transit; Ride a Metro Area Transit bus during Earth Week, for the cost of one empty aluminum can. For bus route information, call (701) 232-7500 or go online at matbus.com.
- Waste Transformation Art Exhibition: April 19-25 Waste Transformation Art Exhibition at the Moorhead Public Library. This art exhibition is made from materials that would otherwise enter the waste stream.
For a full listing of Earth Week events, including the Party for the Planet and Valley Green Expo, please visit www.valleyearthweek.com.
Some other Earth Week activities you can do this week or anytime:
- Plant a tree or natural habitat garden.
- Pick up some litter in and around your neighborhood.
- Reduce your consumption of energy, water and over packaged products.
- Start composting.
- Take a walk and enjoy the natural world around you.
- Show your support for Mother Earth by becoming a member of the Sierra Club.
My Green Side’s weekly web pick:
The Sierra Club is America’s oldest, largest and most influential grassroots environmental organization. Inspired by nature, they are 1.3 million of your friends and neighbors, working together to protect our communities and the planet.
The Sierra Club has a special offer now through Earth Day 2010, you can join for $15. Your gift will help support efforts to protect our wildlands and wildlife, keep our air and water free from pollution, stem global warming and promote a clean energy future.
Editor’s Note: Each Wednesday My Green Side brings Simple Tips for Green Living to The Christopher Gabriel Program. We also highlight a favorite green site each week. You can stream the segment at approximately 1020am (CDT) every Wednesday at WDAY.com.